On 20 November, the Liberal Democrats published their 2019 Manifesto. TIGA, the independent network for games developers and digital publishers and the trade association representing the games industry, has summarised the recommended policies.
As part of efforts to boost growth in the creative industries and train young people with the digital skills necessary, the Liberal Democrat party has included the following pledges:
- A £10,000 grant for every adult in England to put towards education and training. The Lib Dems believe this will equip the next generation with the skills necessary to tackle a complex and technologically advanced world, as well as boosting the economy.
- Continuing support of the Creative Industries Council
- A major expansion of high-quality apprentice-ships
In an attempt to address the barriers to finance faced by small creative business, the Liberal Democrat party has proposed:
- Tailoring industry-specific tax support
- Reformation of the British Business Bank’s support for venture capital funds in order to support investment in new UK digital start-ups
In order to tackle skills shortages within the industry, their 2019 Manifesto includes:
- The introduction of a new two-year visa for students to work after graduation
The full manifesto can be found here.