Rebellion, the leading independent games developer behind internationally acclaimed video games including the Sniper Elite franchise and the Zombie Army series, has received the TIGA STAR Award. This Award scheme recognises the very best employers in the UK video games industry.
The TIGA STAR system was developed to benchmark how companies of all sizes are run to encourage best practice, with a particular focus on the way staff contribute to success. The TIGA STAR system examines a games business in four areas: Strategy, Teams, Advancement and Recognition.
TIGA’s evaluation of Rebellion showed that the company is a great place to work and has a clear strategy and concrete processes for achieving success. TIGA noted several examples of good practice at Rebellion, including:
- a clear mission, strategy and values embedded in the organisation;
- a ‘no-crunch’ culture and the promotion of equality of opportunity;
- a focus on work-life balance and flexible working arrangements, with 80 per cent of staff adopting hybrid working;
- a significant commitment to training days per employee and workforce development.
Ben Hayes, TIGA STAR lead assessor, said:
“It is no coincidence that Rebellion has created a supportive, innovative working environment and that it produces high quality products as the first enables the second. As Rebellion has grown so have its systems and culture meaning it is becoming a sophisticated organisation but one that retains its independent, family vibe.”
Jason Kingsley OBE, Rebellion CEO, said:
“We are extremely proud to receive this TIGA STAR Award as it highlights the importance we place on our working environment and culture. It also reflects the hard work and dedication of everyone in the company. It has always been important to us that we remain independent as this enables us to be in control of our own destiny and put our people first. This TIGA STAR Award is a badge of recognition that Rebellion is a great place to work.”
Rebellion has achieved considerable growth in recent years and now directly employs 500 people and a further 500 freelancers and outsourcers. It also has extensive media and entertainment operations covering books, comics, TV, film and board games with a core focus on developing and publishing its titles and IP. Headquartered in Oxford, Rebellion also has studios in Warwick, Liverpool, and Wakefield. The Games Division of Rebellion passed all four of the TIGA STAR themes:
- Strategy: how the organisation develops and adheres to a clear vision, strategy and demonstrates effective leadership.
- Teams: how the organisation recruits and retains great teams; promotes training, diversity and equal opportunities; and facilitates flexible working, etc.
- Advancement: how the organisation continually makes advances in its business operations.
- Recognition: how the organisation recognises and rewards individuals, teams and organisational success.
** Ends **
For more information n the TIGA STAR scheme and our TIGA STAR companies, see: https://tiga.org/tiga-star
TIGA is the trade association for the UK video games industry. Our vision is to make the UK the best place in the world to develop video games. Our core purpose is to strengthen the games development and digital publishing sector. To this end, we focus on four strategic objectives:
- influencing Government policy via effective political representation;
- raising the profile of our industry to influence public policy;
- enhancing education and skills through our accreditation programme (https://tiga.org/education/tiga-university-accreditation) and the TIGA Games Education Awards (https://tiga.org/education-awards); and
- promoting best practice through our membership services, including the TIGA STAR Employer Award (https://tiga.org/star), the TIGA Games Industry Awards (https://tiga.org/awards) and exclusive events for TIGA members.
For more information contact TIGA:
Founded in 1992, Rebellion is one of world’s most successful independent studios. Its flagship Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 20 million players worldwide. The latest game in the franchise, Sniper Elite 5, was released in May 2022 to critical acclaim. 2000 AD is synonymous with the absolute finest in British comic book art. With the acquisition of a $100m film studio and the world’s largest archive of English language comics, Rebellion continues to grow from strength to strength.
Rebellion now operates across books, comics, TV and film, but at its core it’s still a leading developer and publisher of games. Whether it’s the breath-taking intensity of the Sniper Elite, the face-hugging terror of Aliens vs. Predator or the grindhouse frenzy of the Zombie Army series, the Oxford-based studio is revered for creating stand-out games designed to thrill.