On 16 March 2020, the Prime Minister Boris Johnson made a speech regarding the COVID-19 crisis in the UK. In the speech, he announced new measures in an effort to control the spread of the virus, and to protect the elderly and the most vulnerable across the country.
The new measures include:
- If anyone in your household displays COVID-19 symptoms, all family members should self-isolate for 14 days.
- People are advised to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel.
- People should work from home where they possibly can.
- People should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other social venues.
- People should only use the NHS when it is really needed. People should use online NHS services rather than calling 111 where possible.
The Prime Minister’s speech can be read in full here.
Updated guidance from the Department of Health and Social Care for employers, employees and businesses can be found here.