4th May 2021
TIGA, the trade association representing the UK video games industry, today launched a new TIGA Graduates of the Year programme to promote, celebrate and recognise excellence in education.
TIGA Accredited universities will have the opportunity to nominate a ‘Graduate of the Year’ from each of their TIGA accredited courses. TIGA will review all the submissions and award the best graduate nominees the accolade of ‘TIGA Graduate of the Year’. Students from TIGA Accredited University courses in the final year of their BSc, BA, MA or MSc degree will be eligible for the Award.
The deadline for submissions is 28th July 2021 for first degree programmes and 30th September 2021 for MA or MSc programmes, with the winners announced in August and October, respectively.
Successful graduates will be eligible to be entered into a further national competition planned by TIGA.
Dr Richard Wilson OBE, TIGA CEO, said:
“Our TIGA Graduate of the Year programme will promote, celebrate and recognise excellence in education. TIGA Accredited courses will be able to offer their students an industry recognised prize. Successful graduates will be able to highlight an industry prize on their CV. Studios will be able to identify excellent universities and graduates. We look forward to assessing submissions, working with universities and applauding the successful graduates.”
Jacob Habgood, TIGA Educational Advisor said:
“The TIGA Graduate of the Year programme will provide valuable industry recognition to students who are striving for excellence in their studies. Industry awards provide an important motivation for students to think beyond grade averages, and commit to engaging with challenging, industry-relevant content.”[Ends]
Notes to editors
TIGA Graduate of the Year Programme
- TIGA will offer all TIGA University Accredited games courses the opportunity to propose a ‘TIGA Graduate of the Year’. Students in their final year at BSc, BA, MA or MSc level are eligible for the Award.
- Each TIGA University Accredited games course will propose a ‘TIGA Graduate of the Year’ on the basis of one or more of the following criteria: best degree result; best module grade; best showreel; best project; most improved student. The criteria selected must primarily demonstrate individual work completed solely by the student as part (or all) of their degree assignments for the Accredited course. The ‘TIGA Graduate of the Year’ is an individual Award and so evidence from group projects should not constitute the main criteria.
- TIGA Accredited Universities will propose a graduate from each Accredited course and inform TIGA of the same no later than 28th July 2021 for first degree programmes and no later than 30th September 2021 for MA or MSc programmes. TIGA Accredited Universities will supply TIGA with a photograph of each graduate nominee and a short summary of their achievements by reference to the chosen criteria (maximum 200 words). These summaries may be made public in part or whole on the TIGA website. It is the responsibility of each TIGA Accredited University to obtain prior consent from each graduate nominee for both their name and photograph to be provided to TIGA and used in related publicity. Submissions should be sent to: email@example.com
- TIGA will review all the submissions and decide whether or not to grant the graduate nominees the accolade of ‘TIGA Graduate of the Year’. The decision of TIGA will be final, there will be no grounds for appeal and correspondence will be entered into solely at TIGA’s discretion.
- TIGA will supply a pdf of a prize certificate for each successful graduate nominee. TIGA will also list the winners on the www.tiga.org website and publish a press release announcing all the winners. Successful graduate nominees will be described as ‘TIGA Graduate of the Year’.
- TIGA Accredited courses will benefit from being able to offer their students an industry recognised prize. Successful graduates will benefit from being able to highlight an industry prize on their CV. Games businesses will benefit from being able to identify excellent universities and graduates.
- TIGA Accredited Universities will obtain winning graduates’ permission to be entered into a further national competition planned by TIGA (i.e. universities will satisfy all the relevant requirements of GDPR).
 Additional sub-headings might include: Animator; Environment Artist; Prop Artist; Vehicle Artist Character Artist; FX Artist; Lighting Artist; and Technical Artist. The precise sub-heading will be determined by TIGA and the university of the relevant successful graduate or post-graduate.